Reedsburg Area Medical Center has a long tradition of service to the community. The first hospital in Reedsburg was founded in 1902 by Dr. Adelbert Edwards. It was housed in a former residence. Once remodeled, the two-story building provided 11 rooms, serving both medical and surgical patients. As the community grew, its healthcare needs expanded until the first hospital no longer proved adequate to serve the community’s growth. Below is a timeline of events since then:
- 1933: A new hospital, located on North Park Street, opened. This hospital held 31 adult beds and had a nursery capacity of 12. 20 years later, in 1953, this hospital added 20 beds.
- 1969: The hospital purchased 72 acres of undeveloped land on Reedsburg’s north side. This was later to become the site of the present facility.
- 1972: The Edward Snyder Memorial Nursing Home, a 50-bed long-term care facility, was opened.
- 1976: Our present hospital opened its doors, and within three months, the adjacent clinic opened.
- 2005: RAMC opened Reedsburg Area Senior Life Center, a state-of-the-art 50-bed long-term care unit and 24-apartment assisted living facility.
- 2007: The new Surgery Center and Specialty Center opened.
- 2014: RAMC and Reedsburg Physicians Group officially affiliated and the Physicians Group began operating under the name Reedsburg Area Medical Center Physicians Group.
Reedsburg Area Medical Center is now in the midst of another construction program, building new, private inpatient rooms, remodeling our Birth Center, building a new main registration area, gift shop, sleep rooms and so much more! Thank you for supporting us on this journey.