History of RAMC
Reedsburg Area Medical Center has a long tradition of service to the community. The first hospital in Reedsburg was founded in 1902 by Dr. Adelbert Edwards. It was housed in a former residence. Once remodeled, the two story building provided 11 rooms, serving both medical and surgical patients. As the community grew, its healthcare needs expanded until the first hospital no longer proved adequate to serve the community’s growth.
In August 1932, a public referendum resulted in a decision to proceed with a municipal hospital.
After six months of construction, the hospital, located on North Park Street, opened in 1933.
This hospital held 31 adult beds and had a nursery capacity of 12. Nearly 20 years later, in 1953, this hospital added 20 beds.
By the spring of 1969, the hospital purchased 72 acres of undeveloped land on Reedsburg’s north side. This was later to become the site of the present facility.
In June 1972, the Edward Snyder Memorial Nursing Home, a 50 bed long-term care facility, was opened.
In February 1976, our present hospital opened its doors, and within three months, the adjacent clinic opened.
In October 2005, RAMC opened Reedsburg Area Senior Life Center, a state-of-the-art 50-bed long-term care unit and 24-apartment assisted living facility.
In June 2007, the new Surgery Center and Specialty Center opened.
In November 2012, RAMC and Reedsburg Physicians Group began the exciting process of Electronic Medical Records.
In January 2014, RAMC and Reedsburg Physicians Group officially affiliated and the Physicians Group began operating under the name Reedsburg Area Medical Center Physicians Group.
Click here for more information about Sauk County, Wisconsin.